Sunday, February 6, 2011

Aural pleasure and goings-on

Sitting here at the computer, ripping my CD collection into my new toy. V got that for me recently as a gift (as well as a couple t-shirts and a shower curtain/bathmat set I wanted from thinkgeek...I'm loved). Been meaning to replace my Creative Zen since it died last year, and since then I've primarily used a pair of small-capacity Sansa mp3 players. The Zen and I had a beautiful friendship...at times it seemed to read my mind and/or feelings & choose songs accordingly. Hopefully my Zune will be able to do the same. I've had a few occasions to use it so far, and while it seemed to play appropriate songs for a Sunday morning today the jury's still out on how synced we are. By the time I go to bed I should be about 1/3 of the way through my collection. I started this on Thursday. Hopefully I'll be done before the weekend.

Settling into the new routine around here. Most days I get E ready & take her to V's work for some mommy time during lunch. They're both enjoying it, and sometimes on the way home E looks like she's sad that we're headed back without mama. I was doing well on getting her into a nap routine, but then this past week screwed everything up. With it being so cold out V didn't want me taking E outside much (which was fine...I didn't want to go out in the cold either heh), so she came home for lunch 2 days last week & then worked from home on Friday. And so our little routine fell apart a bit, as E switched to short naps instead of taking longer ones. It'd be nice if the weather we had over the weekend would stick around (60s & low 70s for highs), but it looks like another cold front rolls through this week. So hopefully it just won't be as bad as last week so we can get back to the routine and get out of the house on a daily basis again. I think that as much as anything does us both some good.

Other news...my sister called me today to let me know I'm going to be an uncle. Her due date is the same as Vita's was last year, so it looks like she'll be having her first kiddo around E's birthday. Crazy! A year ago on Super Bowl Sunday we told my parents V was pregnant, then told my sister afterwards. She of course remembered & decided to do the same (though she called my parents yesterday). We're excited for her & her husband. She's even got an appointment to check out the birthing center where we went & wants to deliver there. And of course she'll be asking us for advice as needed.

Also, I was offered to work at Pearson again & I have accepted it for now. From the way the e-mail was written it looks like it's a work-from-home job this time around, but it also looks like the hours are set at 8am-4pm. So there's a good possibility that I'll end up not working for them after all. I'd like to do it, but if I HAVE to be available only during those hours then that'll be hard. I can't exactly ignore E for 8 hours every day. Waiting for more information now, but at least I know that I can walk away at any time & it's OK.

Beyond that, I've decided that I need a night off from the home responsibilities once in a while. So this week & next I've bought tickets to see films at Alamo Drafthouse that I want to see: Maniac! and Big Trouble in Little China. Looking forward to seeing both on the big screen, and having some time to myself (well, sort of...I mean, there will be other people there too I just won't know them). Considering doing one of their upcoming Pulp Fiction quote-alongs too, but haven't decided yet. I could easily do that...I've seen it enough times that the last time I watched it I was able to recite most if not all of the dialogue. And it's not like I haven't paid to see it multiple times in theatres over the years, so we'll see.

And speaking of movies, we've been catching up on those still. Feel free to consult my previously linked-to "Watched in 2011" list to see what I've watched. I've also uploaded to Listal my Best movies of 2010 list, as well as lists for 2000 through 2009, all of which can be accessed from my Best of 00s list if you're interested. At this point I've made similar lists for each year I've been alive (that'd be starting with 1977), and plan to upload them a decade at a time each Friday of this month. Once the 70s lists are up I'll also post the list I made collecting the links to all of them. Yeah, I've been keeping busy over on Listal heh.

I've also made a new music-related list of a personal nature, which has spent most of Sunday on the main page of the site. It's called Songs and what they mean to me. I consider it the proper follow-up to my previously mentioned "I was a preteen metalhead" list. As anyone who knows me well is aware, music's been a big deal to me for pretty much my entire life, so making personal lists out of the music I like is somewhat easy and completely enjoyable. I feel like between the 2 I've given some fairly extensive insight into my tastes & myself, so it may not be as easy to come up with another one. I'll have to wrack my brain a bit perhaps.

Other than all of the above, there's not much else to tell. We had dinner Saturday night at a former co-worker/friend of mine's apartment that was nice, and we've got a friends' wedding coming up to go to. The wedding falls on a weekend, so my parents will come down to take care of E for us. I'm hoping to squeeze in the Swans performance here that weekend too, but at this point if I want to I may have to go alone. Perhaps if I go out alone often enough I'll make some new friends with similar interests though. That'd be great.

And now I'm officially out of things to talk about. As you were...

1 comment:

  1. "Big Trouble in Little China" on the big screen?! ::jealous:: That should be a lot of fun :) It is definitely a good idea to get out on your own sometimes. The monotony of caring for kids and a house is enough to make anyone a little crazy, let alone an intelligent person like yourself. It is very rewarding though :)

    Good luck with the job venture! I hope it works out so you can get a little fun money. Have a great time at the wedding!

    Thanks for the update. I'm going to check out your lists :)

    ReplyDelete